Friday, April 4, 2014

April 4th — Kiwi Lane Blog Hop


Happy Friday everyone! Happy April 4th! Happy Blog Hop and blog resurrection day for me!

If you are playing along with the Kiwi Lane blog hop you should have arrived from the amazingness over at Jen McDermott's blog. 

Yes, my blog has been severely neglected and I thought maybe once I quit "having" to blog that I'd get a little more active around these parts. Truth is, I haven't so much as even sat at my creative space since this week. Thats about 6 weeks of doing absolutely nothing crafty-wise, and it's been kind of a nice break.

However, I'm grateful that I was able to create a project for this months blog hop at Kiwi Lane Designs, as today is a very special day as it marks the 17th birthday of one of the greatest gifts in my life, and the 1 year passing of my dad. 

I don't know whether or not it's a curse or a blessing to have this day shared with mixed emotions, but all in all I think it's a blessing as a day that is etched around the edges with heartache is also filled with light and remembrance of why we are here on this earth - to continue a legacy for good and to be happy, and what better way to preserve those memories than with a scrapbook page. 


I always greatly struggle with 2 page layouts, but I needed the space to express my feelings and one page wasn't going to cut it. 


I was thinking of using the Kiwi Lane Celebrate Designer Template set in a traditional fashion of a birthday banner, but it seemed a little off to me, so after much relocating, my "sunshine" was born. I'm happy with that as this time of year is truly a representation of re-birth and without the sun or Son, none of this would be possible. 


The banner from the Celebrate set worked well for my title block. 


And I had to add a little embellishment by cutting out the butterflies from the Nature and Tiny Nature template sets in an adhesive backed metal paper, and then I ran it through my embossing machine. I love the shine and texture that it adds to my page. 




So there you have it! And guess what, it DID feel great to create again.

Now don't forget to leave a comment as one lucky random winner will be receiving a $25.00 gift code to spend in the Kiwi Lane shop. You have until 11:59 PM on Sunday night to do so. Winner will be announced next Thursday on the Kiwi Lane blog

Have a great day and a great weekend and be sure to swing on over to the blog of my dear friend Heather Conklin and see what she's got to show! I know it will be fab!






40 comments:

Unknown said...

I love the color combination of yellow and black with the shades of grey. The touch of green really sets it off. I can empathize with your emotional conflict. My father passed away on my birthday.

Unknown said...

Wow ! What a beautiful post... thank you for sharing that and what a beautiful to share it than with a layout to always remember.

Magdalina said...

Your story is beautiful. Thank you for sharing. The layout captures it so well. I love the butterflies in metal and the bigger/bolder sun rays go so well! Thanks for sharing again!

Dawnree said...

This is such a stunning emotional page and you have captured all your emotions so well with your design and color choices. Thank you for sharing.

TINA said...

Welcome back ;) your journaling is always so perfect! I wish you luck on your conflicted day. Smile, you have great hair! Also huge kudos on the double page!!!

mmup57 said...

Love the butterfly ... I need to get that template!

Kathy Burrows said...

Love your two page layout. Thanks for sharing such personal thoughts as well. Reminds me how I should do a better job of journaling my layouts.

Unknown said...

Great journaling..

Shawna K said...

So Pretty, and so fun to see your name come up as part of the blog hop. :)

klmow said...

Love the sun, never thought of doing that.

Unknown said...

You did a great job - I have the same with the passing of my oldest dd at the age of 18 and my new dh birthday on April 8 -- so you have given me much inspiration to make a layout for them b/c you're right - a mix of emotions. Thanks for sharing.

Unknown said...

Yippee, great colors.

Kelly M said...

Your journalling is always so heartfelt and honest, a great thing to be able to look back on. Thanks for the gentle reminder of how important it is. And thank you for sharing such a beautiful layout.

Suzylutz said...

Your journaling is so important for your family to have a record of your deep feelings. Thanks for sharing this layout!

goffy28 said...

I love the layout and the butterflies are beautiful.

lindaplus3 said...

I understand your mixed emotions ,,, It is a hard one, you did a terrific job with your creation and its colors... :)

Unknown said...

Beautiful layout and journaling you shared. I like how you incorporated the butterflies, and the embossed metal paper is such a pretty touch.

Unknown said...

Absolutely love your layout and journaling! Keep up the beautiful work!

Roseanna C said...

Love the layout, the papers and all the details. Thanks for the inspiration.

Unknown said...

Great page. Thanks for the reminder that we should share our memories, even the bitter sweet.

lindanell said...

Such a beautiful layout. Thank you for sharing.

Chantre said...

Your beautiful layout perfectly showcases your expressed memories of this special month! Thank you for sharing!

Deborah Johnson said...

Such a gorgeous layout - you always make me cry with your heart-filled journaling. You are one talented mama!!! (Jen says Hi- and so do I!!) xoxo

Jean Bullock said...

What wonderful way to remember both loves. I teared up as I read the journaling and the story in the post.

Barbara Duncan said...

Love the color combination and the simplicity.

Linda C. said...

Thanks for sharing your layout - it was very touching.

Melissa said...

Love everything about your layout!!

Steph said...

What a beautiful way to express your feelings. Thank you sharing them with all of us. Your page is wonderful.

Sherian said...

What a beautiful layout to document 2 totally different moments in life that share a day.

I'm sure they both would be proud of this layout.

Pam Wesson said...

Oh Kristy you've done it again....I love how you poured out your heart on your journal block. I love how the whole layout is....excellent!

Robin B. said...

What a beautiful layout! I love the layering and the way you made the sun. Thanks for sharing.

tsmayol said...

Such a beautiful layout. Thanks for sharing.

Sue D said...

Beautiful heartfelt layout.

Anonymous said...

Kristy Jen says HI! :) Your layout and story brought tears to my eyes. Thank you for sharing this beautiful layout with us. May God bless you and your family.
Veronica Traupman

nancy carroll said...

Love the LO, Hope your day was good, especially with so many conflicting emotions. Thanks for the inspiration.

Unknown said...

Your butterflies were great. And what a wonderful way to save your memories.

Natalie said...

What a precious layout. I love your sun and especially the journaling. You captured the "heartfelt" and "heartache" of both topics beautifully. I am glad it felt good to create again. Keep it up and keep sharing sweet moments like this on your blog.

Holly A said...

loved your use of the Kiwi Lane templates and adding embossing to the shapes

Heather (goldiecar) said...

Love your sweet journaling. Beautiful layout!!

Jennifer Budge said...

Love this Kristy Lee. You are SO SO SO talented. You are so amazing at journaling and telling stories. One day (I'm sure even now) people will love to have those stories to read. I need to be better at journaling. LOVE everything about this page. :)